Friday 4 February 2011

Arting along...

Last week I blogged about Dede from Inkwell Studio and her amazing Ustream art-along programmes. Did you play along? I did!

I printed a copy of Dede's sketch on A4 Daler Rowney Heavyweight Cartridge Paper. It's a great paper for using for projects such as this, as it is 220gsm (135lb) extra-strong cartridge paper, with just the right amount of tooth. It's great for light watercolours as well as drawing and sketching, plus it has the added advantage of it going through the printer really well. I changed the opacity of the image to around 65% before printing (using Photoshop) to give a lighter sketch line.

The rose was then given an initial wash with acrylic paint, using just four colours; red and white (to create a darkish pink) and two shades of green for the leaves. I used a basic tube set of Reeves Acrylic Colours, mainly because I have not really experimented with Acrylics much (I prefer watercolours...)

Once the initial wash was dry, the pencil colouring began. Unfortunately, I am a little lacking in the coloured pencil area; whereas I have a big collection of watercolour pencils from both Derwent, Daler Rowney and Caran d'Ache (including Graphtints, Inktense and water-soluble drawing pencils) my non-soluble collection of pencils are limited to a kids pack of Crayola! However, with Dede showing us how to shade and where the highlights and shadows should be, the rose started to come to life, even if the pencils I were using weren't the artists variety!

All in all, I was pretty happy with the outcome and if you want to see me "Arting Along with Dede" in realtime... then here you go!

(The first 1m25s is Dede's introduction from the Ustream show,
and then it's me sped up and arting along!)

No comments:

Post a Comment